Tuesday 5 April 2011

Martin Parr

I have to say I have never been a huge fan of Martin Parr's work, however it is safe to say he has became one of the best British photographers of our time. He is best known for his photography that includes aspects within modern life, more specifically life in England.



MARTIN PARR - FROM THE SERIES THE LAST RESORT (1986)


This image in particular shows the British public in a typical sea side restaurant in new Brighton. Although I wasn't born the time this image was taken it still gives me a feeling of nostalgia and understanding. I myself have been on more British holidays than abroad so I understand more about British culture especially growing up close to New Brighton. In my opinion these are the type of images that will forever be remembered because they capture our times and allow our future generation to have insight into our past experiences. I especially like the way Parr takes the essence of British culture giving it his own comical twist. I think this helps him as a photographer to stand out from the rest who are trying to achieve the documentary styled photographs.

Reading
Magnum Photos / Books / The Last Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment